SNL Portraits, 37x07: Jason Segel
“The test screenings. Yeah… We did two separate test screens. One for adults, which went great. One for kids, which went even better. And then Disney gave me a comment card that they had framed.” (x)
A) that kid is right, and B) the adult audience was probably high as shit.
The Swell Season - Live w/ Jason Segel
Dream SNL Host #3 - Monsieur Jason Segel
I think the question is less “Why should he host?” and more “How has he not yet hosted?”
Here are my reasons for including J-Seg (new nickname) on the list.
- Puppets. With Jason Segel as host, we could have a modern incarnation of Season 1’s Muppets in The Land of Gorch sketches.
- He’s musical. Cue hilarious musical-oriented sketches.
- He can dance. Anyone ever seen Discos and Dragons, the season finale of Freaks and Geeks, in which we witness Jason Segel disco dance. It’s pretty amazing as it’s funny, but not in an embarassing way, as he’s actually a pretty good dancer. Dream SNL sketch? Dance battle between Jason Segel and Jason Sudeikis!
- He’s got writing chops. Like major writing chops. He wrote Forgetting Sarah Marshall, arguably the funniest of all the Apatow comedies, single-handedly. I feel like the writing standard would instantly go up with Segel’s presence at 30 Rockefeller Plaza.
- He & Bill Hader are hilarious together. See - Forgetting Sarah Marshall.
- He plays pathetic really well (see FSM) and also crazed stalker (see Undeclared).
All in all, Segel + SNL = surefire recipe for comedy gold.
YES YES YES YES YES YES to all of this.